Such a memorial is in the works and you can help by writing a letter to ensure that the memorial is built in the optimal location.
The VII Corps Desert Storm Veterans Association Board, including General Fred Franks, has been working closely with our friends at the National Desert Storm War Memorial Association. This group is working tirelessly through the approval and funding efforts necessary for a Desert Storm Memorial to be built in Washington, D.C.
The Memorial has been authorized by Congress by way of enabling legislation that was signed into law by President Barack Obama in 2014. Additionally, President Donald Trump recently signed into law a resolution permitting the Memorial to be built in a “Prominent Area I Location” just like the existing memorials mentioned above.
The Next Step is Crucial
The list of possible locations has been narrowed from 100 down to two:
- In Washington, D.C. at 23rd and Constitution – directly across from the US Institute of Peace and near the Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam Memorials (preferred)
- Across the river in Arlington, D.C., adjacent to the Memorial Traffic Circle
The National Capital Memorial Advisory Commission (NCMAC) is holding a hearing on 16 May 2017 to commence the final phase of the site selection process.
The VII Corps DSVA Board agrees with the National Desert Storm Memorial Association that the first option is, by far, the preferred location for our memorial.
“We have to be on the D.C. side of the Potomac River at 23rd and Constitution.”
General Fred Franks
VII Corps Commander during Desert Shield/Storm
The Letter Writing Campaign
The NCMAC is accepting letters of support for the 23rd & Constitution location from now until 2 May 2017. You can join Veterans of Desert Storm, military organizations, concerned citizens, as well as members of President Bush’s Cabinet in 1990-91 by adding your letter of support.
- Write a letter of support in your own words using the talking points and linked documents below.
- Send the letter as an attachment (Word Document, PDF, scanned document) to email@example.com. Note that there is a distinction between an attachment and the body of an email. The letter must be an attachment to be considered a letter of support.
- Share this page with fellow veterans and supporters of the VII Desert Storm Veterans Association.
- The 23rd & Constitution location is near the National Mall and other popular D.C. attractions.
- The less-preferred location in Arlington is also the future location of memorials for 21st Century conflicts Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. We feel that it is more appropriate for the Desert Storm Memorial to be built near the sites memorializing other 20th Century conflicts.
- We feel that the proximity of the 23rd & Constitution location to the Vietnam Memorials is especially appropriate. General Franks and many other Desert Storm commanders also served in the Vietnam War.
For more details, please see the following documents: